Who Needs an Additional COVID-19 Vaccine?
CDC now recommends that people whose immune systems are moderately to severely compromised should receive an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine after the initial 2 doses.
This includes people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medications to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodefciency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (20mg or more of prednisone or equivalent per day) or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
Patients should talk to their healthcare provider about their medical condition, and whether getting an additional dose is appropriate for them.
Adams Drugs will only give the additional COVID-19 dose to a patient who has received the Moderna vaccine and meet the requirements set out by the CDC. Patients must be 18 years of age or older to receive the additional vaccine. Click this link for more information from the CDC.